Position: Fire Chief/ Executive Manager
- Download, complete and mail Application to:
Lockwood Fire District 8, Billings Montana
501 Johnson Lane
Billings, MT 59101
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Applications for the position must be submitted to Lockwood Fire District 8 Board. Please also submit with your application a cover letter, résumé, and three (3) professional references. Applications may be obtained below or by calling (406)-252-1460 and requesting an application for the position of Fire Chief. This job opportunity is advertised with a closing date of August 30, 2023. If interested in being considered, an application should be submitted as soon as possible. Applications may no longer be considered once a reasonable number of applications has been received or once a candidate to fill the position is identified. Applications may be evaluated on a continuous basis and interviews may be conducted as soon as possible during the recruitment with candidates who are best qualified.
Located in picturesque Billings, Montana, the Lockwood Fire Department is a Combination fire and EMS agency with a 17-member career department that provides fire suppression, emergency medical services, hazardous materials, technical rescue, and community risk reduction services to the residents of Lockwood, in Montana. The fire department executive management team is comprised on the Fire Chief, Deputy Chief of Operations, Administrative Assistant I and II. Reporting to the elected Fire Board of Lockwood Fire District 8, the Fire Chief, performs professional and administrative work in planning, directing and managing all firefighting, community risk reduction, and fire service activities of the District, and manages an (advanced life support) ALS ambulance transport service. Duties include planning, directing, and controlling departmental activities including recruitment of personnel, purchase of equipment, control of expenditures, preparation of budget estimates, and the assignment of personnel and equipment. Work is performed under the general direction and approval of the Lockwood Fire District 8 board. Supervision and operations are the sole responsibility of the Fire Chief, the fire board manages policy only.
The preferred hiring range for this position is between $100,000 and $120,000 annually. Starting offer is based on applicable education, experience, and internal equity. This is a full-time, exempt, position which provides excellent benefits including paid vacation and sick leave, health insurance options with employer contribution, employer-paid life insurance, State retirement options, vehicle, and fuel allowance. Reasonable relocation assistance may be available. Please also submit with your online application a cover letter, résumé, and three (3) professional references.
For a general summary of benefits offered by the Fire District, a spread sheet can be obtained by calling 406-252-1460
It is the position of the Fire District Board that vacation hours and sick hour maximums may be negotiated as part of the agreement of employment.
- The applicant must possess a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. A Master’s degree is preferred.
- The candidate must have an EMT certification, previous or current certification as a EMT/paramedic will be considered as beneficial.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of progressive experience in fire services, at least seven (7) as a Company Officer or Supervisor with an emergency services organization.
- Experience working with an ambulance transport service.
- Must have experience with contract negotiations, budget development, management, and control of budgets.
- Possession of a valid appropriate driver’s license issued by the State of Montana or applicant must obtain a Montana state license within 60 days.
- NIMS ICS 300, 400, 700, 800 certifications or completed within the first year of employment.
- Within one (1) year of appointment, must reside within a 30-minute drive of the Lockwood Fire station at 501 Johnson Lane.
- EMS Advanced Life Support (ALS) experience will be considered a plus.
- Graduation from the National Fire Academy’s Executive Fire Officer (EFO) Program will be encouraged if employed if the applicant has not completed the EFO program prior t0 application.
The Lockwood Fire District 8 is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Values Diversity at All Levels of its Workforce.